|Old Children’s Books|
just read.If you have children in your home, read with your children. Allow the children to choose the books so they will pick something that will spark and hold their interest. You can read to them or allow them to read to you or both. Reading books with your children is not only a way to celebrate Book Lover’s Day but it also provides caregivers and children with important quality time together. Dropping everything else to take time to sit down and snuggle with your children while you read together will provide your children with some of their most precious memories.
Take a Field Trip to Celebrate Your Favorite Book
Books can take you places. You probably can’t actually go and visit all the places you wish to see in your lifetime but books can take you there. Books can take you to far away places or to places within your own community without you ever leaving your favorite reading chair. Consider taking a few short trips to celebrate your favorite books. For example, if you love history books, pick a place from one of your favorite books and visit that place. If you like reading about historic battles, visit a battlefield from a book you have read. If you enjoy reading books about animals, go to a zoo or volunteer at an animal shelter. Readers who prefer fiction books can pick a location similar to a fictitious location in the book. Compare the two locations for similarities and differences. Another suggestion is to visit the birthplace or hometown of your favorite author.
|E B White|
Write a Biographical Sketch of Your Favorite Author
books. Thus, he will establish the foundation for a life-time love for reading.
Instruct your children to make their own bookmarks. Offer them construction paper in various colors, markers, paints and anything else they might use as long as the bookmarks remain flat. Instruct the children to cut rectangles from the construction paper. The size of the bookmark doesn’t really matter as long as it is big enough to decorate and fits inside a book. Allow the children to decorate the bookmark. They might choose a simple drawing or they might want to glue on other paper shapes. Avoid using beans and beads since they are bulky and might damage the book. Beans and beads also tend to fall off.
Story Retelling Using a Felt Board
Use a Felt Board
|Use felt board characters to retell a story.|
Book Character Dress Up
Dress up like your favorite book character. This is a lot more fun with friends so plan a book character dress-up party and invite your friends to share in the fun. Some characters might be obvious while others might take a bit of guessing. Allow everyone to guess the characters before revealing all the book characters. Tell everyone to bring their books. Swap the books around and allow one another to borrow the books. This will make it possible for others to read a book with which they might not be familiar.
A Good Book and a Good Snack
Bambie Flower Cupcakes
- 12 chocolate cupcakes, fully cooked
- easy flowing frosting, white
- 12 chewy candies (like vanilla Tootsie Rolls), white
- 1 chewy candy (like pink Tootsie Rolls), pink
- 1 inch oval fondant cutter
- blue sparkle gel decorator icing
- white sugar pearls
- 36 brown candy coated chocolates (like M&Ms)
- Squeeze a line of white icing down the center of unfrosted chocolate cupcakes. Add a tuft of frosting hair to the top.
- Flatten Tootsie Rolls. Cut two 1-inch ovals out of each white Tootsie Roll using a fondant cutter. Roll out the pink Tootsie Roll and cut into 12 strips.
- Cut Tootsie Roll ovals in half. Place one half on each side of the frosting stripe, and a third half at the bottom, as Flower’s muzzle.
- Squeeze on dots of blue sparkle decorator gel for eyes and place a white sugar pearl in each.